Monday, September 14, 2009

Visual Learning Discovery

It's a unique gift to take on this homeschooling adventure with Bella. However, I realized something today that I never expected to discover this soon.
We were working on math and the lesson had her snap together Legos in sequence. I told her to make a tower of 2 and then 3.. she was to keep making new towers 4, 5, 6, ... 9, 10, 9, 8, .... 0. As we did this, I started to mix it up and I'd skip one and then go back up, we went up and down the number line several times. Each time, Bella quickly put together the Lego tower and was trying to complete it super fast. [The instructions told me to not correct her, but to simply let her work at it in her own way. It said that some kids would start over each time and count up again. Otherwise they might, as Bella did, simply add one to the stack or subtract one from the stack to make the final sum.]
Then, later in the day, we were walking out of Sam's Club with 5 items in the basket. I told her we have 5 items, what would happen if we took one away? She answered without hesitation: "4". Then, we mixed it up. I would ask: "If we have 5 items in our basket and 3 people, how many do we have?" "5 items in the basket, 3 people, 2 cars, and a shoe" "5 items, then I take 3 away" "3 car seats, 3 kids" Each time she would answer the word problem without hesitation. She was smiling with delight as she answered each of my questions with excitement.
Then, as we got into the car, I asked her: "What is 5 + 1?" She sat there in the backseat with her fingers, counting. Each time I would ask her: "If I have 5 items in my cart and I buy one more, what do I have?" she would answer without hesitation. Then, when I would ask her to add two numbers, she would hesitate and count on her fingers. A sum that took her two seconds to figure out when I put it in visual terms, was suddenly much more difficult when it was just numbers.

So, I discovered that Bella is a visual learner.

Now I must figure out ways to continue to make her learning experience fun and exciting while playing to these strengths. Any ideas? Do you think this might have been the reason why she did not like learning at school? Possibly this is the reason why she never liked Kindergarten?

No comments:

Post a Comment