Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Morning Silence

Yes, I know it is before 6am as I write this and I'm aware that I was up well before this. In addition, I acknowledge that the first day of school is not nearly as big of a day for me than for my children. However, in my defense, I must state that not only am I super excited, but I had to get the quiche in the oven so that it would be ready for the early morning breakfast hub bub. So, as I sit here with my feet on the fire place, sipping my latte, I bask in the quiet.
The first day of school was always a day of excitement for me. I remember counting down the days as Cecelia has done this year. The uniform was carefully folded or hung in my room so that I would be nearly ready once I got up. My backpack was ready to go and my shoes and socks were sitting patiently for me at the door. The excitement of heading outside and waiting for the bus was almost too much for me to handle. I would put my hair up into something extra special and ensure that everything was in its place before I embarked on the adventures of a new year in school.
So really, I'm just reliving my childhood when I watch my girls get excited like this.
Today, Cecelia has to get to the bus stop by 8:10am. Bella will be home schooled this year and we will begin today's lesson after the drop-off. In addition, we have about 100 lbs of apples to process. I finished 3 pints of apple sauce last night and the apple butter is sitting in the crockpot- simmering down. So, our day will definitely be filled with plenty of things to do.
As I sit here before all the craziness of the day descends upon our home, I'm grateful for so many things. My latte, for one, is going to make most of this morning possible and the pot of coffee that is ready to brew for my husband will possibly hold me through the rest of the morning. I'm so grateful that my husband and I have the energy to handle processing fruit that we've found and picked ourselves. It's become such a wonderful project and I'm so excited to have canned goods to share and use. I'm grateful for the school year and hope that this next year of homeschooling will prove positive.
There is nothing like an early morning cup of yummy with silence to bring out the grateful. What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment