Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Potty Training

Washing pee soaked floors + extra laundry loads + stinky underware + lots of bathroom time = potty training

Yes, indeed we are potty training our youngest. After four children, you would think this would be a breeze, but of course these days are filled with the same amount of messes and challenges as with each child. On a positive note: Jack is doing wonderfully. He has been the easiest to potty train thus-far and I'm grateful that he is the last one in the line. When we are completely done with potty training I believe a cake or party is in order. After all, this will be the end of the diapering era for me. I'm excited!

Potty training a boy is different from the girls in so many ways, but the most significant is the fact that the penis tends to stand up or out instead of into the toilet. Consequently, a mother's chief worry beyond getting them on the toilet in time, is to ensure that the penis is pointed the proper direction. Just because you made it to the toilet doesn't mean that you won't have a pee soaked bathroom.
Jack has finally got the handle of holding his penis down, but still asks on occasion that I "point his peanuts". Sometimes we are without the extra padded chair and I need to hold him on the toilet and point his penis. Yesterday, I was pointing it down and then I was startled as my hand was not in the proper position and the pee was flowing through my fingers. Lovely! lol
Jack and I giggled as he finished peeing and I washed my hands. At least it got into the toilet :)
This morning, he woke up and said he had to go potty and I immediately took him to the bathroom. It was then that I discovered that he was dry!!!! He made it through the entire night without an accident! What a joy :) We celebrated this morning with pancakes (Jack's choice).
He is making such great strides. I'm so proud. We've had our share of accidents and mishaps, but he's been doing awesome. Within these 3 short weeks he's managed to have several days without an accident and now one night. In addition, I've stopped putting the diaper on him when we go out. We've gone hiking, grocery shopping, errand running, and to the park with only underware. He's done perfectly. I can see the finish line. We are almost done! Celebrate with me :)

2 comments:

  1. That's great! Your post had me cracking up! I just love the "point his peanuts" lol! How old is he, by the way? I'm wondering when I should start on my son. He's 20 months old and I know he's not any where near ready yet. But I was wondering when I should go get him a potty chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack is 2.5... let's see... birthday in December. So that puts him at 21 months? I didn't think he would be ready soon, but then he started to ask to go potty. I quickly seized the opportunity and the next time he started peeing, I said "Jack, you are peeing! Let's do that in the toilet!!!" The combination of interest and his ability to see what I wanted him to do on the potty helped. I say, wait till your son is ready. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to potty train a child that is not ready and/or doesn't want to. Believe me, I've done my fair share of forced potty training :)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete