Friday, September 25, 2009

Classic Books

Over the last two years, I recommitted myself to reading for pleasure. I joined a book club and tried to keep on top of all the books as well as my schoolwork. Part of my determination came from the fact that my husband reads constantly. Not only is he somehow able to finish and entire book in one sitting, but he has the ability to discuss and relate details about it. His enjoyment spurred me on to partake in the joys of reading. I didn't want to be the mom that my children never saw reading unless it was a grocery list, blog, or e-mail. Books have such value in so many ways. There are excellent classics that I've never dipped into and I feel that it is my duty to educate myself.
Over the last year, I've tackled many classics and found myself in worlds and centuries that have both captured my imagination and taught me so much. This experience has given me a new appreciation for reading, even if my pace is much slower than my husband.
Yesterday, on Facebook, an old acquaintance from my high school posted a list of 100 books that the BBC thought was important. Their conjecture was that most people have only read 6 of these classics. As I went through the list, I kept counting... and counting. I had 35!!!!! How is that even possible! They expected 6 out of 100 and I had 35.
My husband and I discussed this and other great-books lists last night. I do hope to be a woman who is well-read and thoughtful in everything that I do read. My base-knowledge is fairly expansive due to an excellent high-school education at one of the top schools in my state. However, once I got to college, got married, and began popping out kids, I ceased to read. How could I have gotten this out of practice?
There were several books on the list that my husband had read that he believed I might enjoy. There were others that I had read and I encouraged him to read.
It got me thinking about what type of person I want to be. Books open a window into eras, lives, and thought processes that we might not normally think about. It is within these experiences that we learn and grow in a gentile way. Granted, I've learned many lessons through hard work, challenges, and pain. However, I wonder if I too can learn and grow through expanding my mind.
What a gift... to read... to devour... to enjoy a book. In addition, I see the fluff that sometimes are the only books that people read, it's sad to see beautiful works of literature take second string to books that hold little value.
So, as college classes start for me next week, I am saddened that I will not have nearly as many opportunities to read. However, I will continue to try to read continuously. In addition, I'm back in the habit of reading to the kids before bed. We've read so many good chapter books over the last two years, but the summer got away from us.
So... The Secret Garden is our next project.
What a joy to embrace the writings of authors that are considered brilliant and who have contributed to the list of what we consider classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment