Sunday, October 11, 2009

Team Drama

I cringe as I think about what has happened this week... but I have to relate this story to simply get it off my chest.
This week in school we were assigned to learning teams. We are supposed to complete a final project together and this week our goals were to complete a form that outlined how we were going to attack the final paper. I signed up to lead the team this week. It was a little like jumping off a cliff... I struggled with the fact that we not only did not know each other, but also were expected to come together to form a cohesive plan.
I worked out a time-line for the team's assignment and posted this for everyone to see. Note: there are 5 people in our team. I heard back from 2 of my peers and we decided to meet on Wednesday evening. After not hearing from everyone, I sent out an e-mail to all 5 explaining where we were at and expressing our desire to have a meeting. One woman responded with her regrets and explained that her schedule at work prohibited her ability to come to a meeting. So, I immediately e-mailed her back and tried to tie her down to a portion of the project. She agreed to this and I proceeded to enter her into our time-line and assign her jobs.
We had the meeting and got a little accomplished.
On Thursday, I wrote out all the rest of the answers based off of the discussion and made a good portion of it up.
I had clearly indicated both online in our classroom and through e-mail correspondence that each team member was supposed to enter their portion of the assignment online by Thursday. Well, Thursday comes and goes and we have heard nothing from 2 team members and 3 of us have an almost complete assignment. I e-mailed the professor at this point and asked him what to do with one member of our team as he had not posted all week. My professor told me to simply leave him out as he thought classmate would be dropping the class. So, now we were down to 4.
I e-mailed the lady who said she had a horrendous week and reminded her of the portion of the charter that she was supposed to have given to the team by Thursday.
Saturday, the professor asked us to post a rough draft so that he could offer his feedback. I e-mailed and called the woman who had been missing. I told her that she had by 5pm to post her content. Then, 5 o'clock came and she had not posted anything.
I e-mailed the professor again asking him what to do. He told me to eliminate her from the time-line and simply assume that we only have 3 people. So, I redid the assignment and rearranged the responsibilities to reflect her absence.
Then, in the middle of the night on Saturday (5 hours after that 5pm deadline), both of the other team members show up. One posts: "hey... um... what am I supposed to do?" The other posts on an old thread her portion of the charter.
So, Sunday morning I'm saddled with a decision. Do I add her back in? Will this be a pattern for her? Will we always be trying to track her down? Do I play the bad guy and effectively eliminate her from the team?
After hours agonizing over this decision, I decide she is not worth our time. We tried, I communicated, I accommodated, and I did speak to the professor. We have 3 people who have actively participated...
Then, we have a team meeting on Sunday evening at 7:30pm. We start our meeting with the 3 people and begin to finalize everything. Then, this woman pops in... I was stunned. As I looked at her name on my screen, my heart started to pump out of my chest. I was the team leader. I had to say something. My fingers froze to the key-board. How do I professionally handle this?
After all, this is 30% of our grade!
I told her to contact the professor. *sigh*
It was so hard.
She kept posting in the other forums about how teams need to be clear with their expectations. How they need to give 24 hour notice. The fact is, I did give her more than 24 hour notice. I bent over backward to accommodate her schedule. I received nothing from her. So, at this point it's too late.
I hope the professor can back up our team's decision and let us simply move on without her.
What a rough week. What an awkward position I was put in!

2 comments:

  1. Who says there's a 24 hour rule anyway? Um.. no one! Professor said to cut her, and you cut her. No skin off your back. And you communicated well. She's not responsible enough to be making her education a priority, so you shouldn't worry about her. Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out with the rest of the group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! We all took responsibility for our grades and our education... it's not my responsibility to babysit everyone else and make sure that they care as much as I do. We are all adults here!!!!!

    ReplyDelete