Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Do I not play well with others?

I have learned so much about myself this week. I re-entered college at the University of Phoenix and again am straddling papers and discussion questions, however what has really thrown me for a loop is a group project that is going to be a regular fixture in all my classes.
It's not that I don't "play well with others" or even that I can't collaborate. It's that I am very disciplined, I am a major communicator, and I like to see progress.
Our teams were assigned on Sunday evening and we were all supposed to check in and leave our contact information. This took about 2 days for everyone to do...
We are supposed to create a game-plan for our final project and outline each individuals duties. So, as I waited and waited for someone to take the lead, my anxiety increased. Finally, I decided to take the role of team-leader this week and force the issue. After hearing about people's availability, I scheduled a team meeting this evening and have not heard from everyone. I still have 2 people who have not so much as acknowledged that we are having a meeting.
*sigh*
I swear, I'm not trying to be controlling or pushy, but seriously- I CARE about my grades. I don't want to sacrifice my excellent record because others are not checking into class often enough.
To be fair, I have heard from 2 classmates and one of which I have spoken on the phone with a number of times. So at least I feel like I'm not alone.
Alas, here I sit... after spending about 3 hours creating a game plan for the final project.. wondering if anyone will sign up for duties. I offered to write the rough draft (as I know that I can create quality work on a time-table and it might not even need that much editing). Another classmate mentioned they are good at editing and I simply assigned them the final week as team leader and told them that they could edit the paper.
Unfortunately, we have lots of research to do and right now I am wondering if there will be enough classmates available to pitch in.
I'm trying really hard not to be controlling, but I seriously can't handle the stress. Once I get into my marketing courses (the next 5 courses), I am going to be proactive in finding people who are excellent at school. This might seem completely weird, but we can request team-mates and we can try to get each other in subsequent classes. So, I'm determined to find a group of people who will take the bull by the horns and communicate to an excess.
I need to relax... it's totally stressful this week. If I can figure out how to handle these team assignments, I will do well in school. It's just the fact that I have to rely on others and trust that they too want this as bad as I do.
So... my question: do I not play well with others?

No comments:

Post a Comment