Monday, August 24, 2009

Taking an Opportunity

I got a call from an old friend last week out of the blue. She invited our family to come up to her cabin. I told her that I would call her the following day with confirmation once I figured out what our week looked like. When my husband came home, I told him of her offer and he immediately told me to jump at it. Of course, he knew that with work being as scarce as it sometimes is, he needed to work. In addition, when you own your own business, you are a slave to work because when it comes- you need to take it!

Honestly, the thought of taking all four kids out to a cabin in WI is both exciting and scary. I'm not too worried about the drive out, nor even how they will behave. It will be good for them to swim, play, boat, and generally just have fun in the sun. However, I realized that part of my worry stemed from the fact that I haven't seen this woman in so long. In fact, we haven't really kept up over the past 2 years. Our friendship sprung out of difficulty and we held each other up through some very tough times. However, the distance between us is nearly an hour (one way) and that does tend to put a damper in how often we would see each other. Thoughts flew through my mind: Will she still like me? Do we still have something in common? Will there be all those awkward silences?

Going with my gut, I called and left a message asking for details.

She's poor at returning phone calls or emails and it took another 5 days to recieve confirmation that she indeed did want us to come. She sent me the address and the phone number to the cabin yesterday and then it was somewhat official.

This morning over a cup of coffee I told my husband that I was a little worried about it. He asked "why" and I explained how it had been so long and I wondered if we still would like each other. Then I said: "What will you do while we are all gone for a couple of days?" He smiled and said: "I know how to feed myself! I will be fine for 2 days... really... I'm not incapable!" I laughed at his chiding and he continued: "She needs you right now. Just have fun- it'll be good for all of you to get out."

He was completely right. Why not take this opportunity?! She needs me right now. In fact, I would venture to say that this might be the precise reason why she called me. Possibly she needs a shoulder to cry on or simply someone to sip coffee with as we watch the sun go down. I cannot be so worried about what we have in common or even if she will still like me (I know- stupid insecurity- but seriously I do worry about that).

So, at 6am this morning, I made the decision to leave (as previously planned) on Wednesday morning at dawn. That leaves me with exactly 2 days to clean the house, do all the errands, stock the fridge with all the necessary food for my husband, and pack.

What I've done already: grocery shopping, oil-change, bank-run, and payroll.
You don't even want to see my to-do list :) I will mow the lawn this afternoon and hopefully get the laundry completed.

It'll be a good end of summer vacation (even if it's just me and the kids).

No comments:

Post a Comment