Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sometimes They Don't Listen

Sometimes I wonder if the kids actually listen to me and just sometimes, they don't.

As I pulled out of Starbucks with my latte yesterday morning in between an oil change and a grocery trip to Cub, Bella noticed that there was two holes in the cap. She asked why there was two holes when you only need to drink out of one. I proceeded to go into a scientific explanation with details about pressure and volumes of latte... etc. As I added examples to my explanation, I noticed that the follow-up questions were not reflecting any new information that might have been gleaned from our conversation.

We pulled into the Cub parking lot and I stopped with my explanation, assuming that the kids had lost interest and quite honestly not knowing where to go with it. Then, Bella said: "It's just like when Nate had a popcorn sucked up his nose and it went down to his mouth. He bit it a couple of times and then swallowed it."

Clearly, whatever I had just said- went right over their heads. lol

Sometimes they don't listen or (more likely) I need to dumb it down or simply hand the whole conversation off to my husband. He always knows how to explain things like that in a way that the kids can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment