Saturday, August 22, 2009

Crayfish Adventure

Today our adventures lead us to the Minnehaha Falls. This is a place I have fond memories of. I kissed my husband for the first time whilst looking at the waterfall. My summers revolved around our hikes into this park as my childhood home was nearby. Introducing my children to this beloved Minneapolis treasure was quite a pleasure for me last year.
The plan is to meet my husband at the falls after he is finished with work. Then, we will hike down to where the Minnehaha Creek meets the river where he will try to trap crayfish. Why crayfish you might ask? Well, my dad decided a couple weeks ago that he would like to have a crayfish boil for some reason. Therefore, my husband who is always up for an adventure started researching for the family and creating traps. He worked tirelessly after work on his creations and soon we were giving our traps a try at all the local streams and ponds.
After a little more research, we realized that fish guts and heads are the best bait. I put in a call to my girlfriend who works at a nice seafood restaurant. However, I won’t receive the fish-heads from their chef until sometime next week. I called Byerly’s and other local grocery stores to find that no one has left-over fish heads. In fact, most of these locales say that the fish often come ready to sell. I guess this makes sense as you have to clean the fish out soon after the catch and put it on ice before shipping it in order to maintain freshness. However, this does not help my cause.
Being the stubborn sort of stock that does not give up easily, my husband came up with another idea for bait: dead minnows. Therefore, I’m going to go to the local bait shop to ask for all the dead fish-bait. Soon, I should have a bag of smelly-dead minnows. We’ll see how it works, but I’m ready to give it a try.
The kids are finishing their Saturday chores; I am packing water, dinner, books, and bug spray. It should be a fun afternoon/evening.
No doubt, Bella will be standing in the water with her daddy as they pick up crayfish from under rocks. Jack will roll around in the sand and Cecelia and Sophia will play “house”.
It is these moments that I cherish. My life is good… truly good.
Note: has anyone had crayfish? Are they like lobster or do they taste different?

No comments:

Post a Comment